Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Time Flies When You Are Having Sons...

The things that are on my mind this week...

My oldest son turns 10 today.  It doesn't feel possible that a decade ago he arrived in this world (after 5 days of induced labor) and changed my life forever.  That weekend my friend snuck a 4-pack of Guinness cans into the hospital room.  The Nordspawn never developed a taste for beer, unlike his younger brother.  Perhaps that will change over time; I like to think it will.

I am never tired of hearing about collaborations between craft breweries.  Its just one of those feel-good things about the industry that you just don't see much of elsewhere.  The latest release is epic as fas as those involved go.  Fritz Maytag (Anchor Brewing) and Ken Grossman (Sierra Nevada).  Giants in the industry.  Legends.  Icons.  Like Mozart and Bach.  All reports say the 30th Anniversary Fritz & Ken Ale is a fantastic beer.  I expect to have a bottle or two in short order.

Last weekend was the Craft Brewers Convention in Chicago.  I do hope to make it there one day.  Everything I have heard back indicate it was an amazing event, and not just because of the great quality (and quantity) of beer available.  The seminars and speakers alone would have been worth the trip.  And then to be surround by so many kindred souls... sounds like heaven.

The weather is heating up in Florida.  We may very well skip Spring and go straight in to Summer at this rate.  And that means its time for the more refreshing beers to move to the front of the line.  I love my big beers and stouts and whatnot, but there is something special about sitting outside on a warm Florida day with a lovely sessionable pale ale or crisp pilsner.  Time to get reacquainted with them, says I...

Now that we are done with the "first quarter" of the year, it is a good time to take stock and see where we are in terms of the "Brew Year's Resolutions".  Some might need to be adjusted and some may no longer qualify.  Lets take a look!


  1. Attend GABF in Denver for the first time. - Well, this is not until September.  So...  Grade: N/A
  2. Visit more breweries. - I have been over to Cigar City a few times now, and stop in at Peg's Cantina and Brewpub as well as Tampa Bay Brewing Company, but I need to step it up.  There are a few trips planned for this year, so I will make it a point to get to nearby breweries if at all possible.  Grade: D
  3. Start rating beers. - I am doing it, but not often enough.  Grade: C
  4. More homebrewing. - To date I have exactly one batch done.  Not good enough, and far short of where i should be so far this year. Grade: D
  5. More writing. - That I have been doing, but still not consistently enough for my own taste.  I need to double my efforts on that. Grade: B-
  6. More drinking. - Also been doing well with this.  I am trying to make sure i try something new at least once a week.  I have had some really excellent beers, too. Grade: B+
  7. More reading. - It seems like the more I read, the more books I add to my list.  I have knocked off several books so far and am loving the knowledge I am gaining. Grade; A
  8. Certification and Study, part 1 - Cicerone.  Nothing yet.  I am looking to maybe the summertime to really look at this. Grade: N/A
  9. Certification and Study, part 2 - BJCP.  See #8.  Grade: N/A
  10. Continue to be a vocal craft beer advocate. - Probably to the point of being obnoxious.  Grade: A
So, there is work to be done!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great list of goals! Happy Birthday to your son as well! :) I'm hoping to go to Denver this year and will be meeting some of my Craft Beer friends form around the country. I'm really excited for this prospect. Continue to work on your goals--you're doing great. Let me know if you're going to venture to more breweries in Flordia... Maybe we can create more #FLABREW events. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. to your title... so it does,,,

    ReplyDelete